When to go to an Ombudsperson

Ombudspersons help you identity a concern, understand policy, answer questions, and provide guidance. Below are some examples of academic and administrative issues in which you may want additional guidance.


  • Grade appeal
  • Incomplete grade in a course
  • Difficulty in transfering between schools and colleges at the University
  • Withdrawal from a course 


  • Financial registration
  • Individual health concerns
  • Payment of your student account or disbursement issues
  • Transcripts access or error
  • Policy/Procedure (e.g.: parking, housing, dining)
  • Withdrawl from the University

If you have an issue or concern, please submit a case, and the appropriate person will contact you.

For more information on filing a complaint with the Florida Department of Education, click here